The Rising Five: Edition #9
I’m Christopher and I’m back with another edition of The Rising Five. Some of the faces will be familiar on this list and some won’t. The important thing to note is that you’re going to be fed more kickass new music than you can shake a stick at. Disclaimer: No stick-shaking in front of me please. Thank you.
1. Hurt – How We End Up Alone – Yes, I know many of you know of Hurt and some of you are likely fans of them. The reason I’m plugging them here on EMURG is that their last couple of albums have been created without the benefit of a major label. EMURG isn’t just for unsigned and independent acts, it’s for those ambitious artists that push the envelope and continue to set the bar for rock artists everywhere.
2. Greek Fire – If This Is The End (The Sound of Belief) – An inspiring, uplifting song about those who continue to battle cancer, including Johnny Venus, their band’s drummer who has been battling leukemia. Different types of cancer have recently taken the lives of disco queen Donna Summer and Beastie Boys frontman Adam “MCA” Yauch, but this song is an example of the bravery of the battle and the power of love.
3. Hell or Highwater – Terrorized in the Night – Brandon Saller and company finally put out a new video from their debut album Begin Again, which recently went on a firesale on I-Tunes for less than two bucks. Definitely worth your money, time, and undivided attention. And booze. ‘cept for that hipster PBR crap.
4. All Day Dreamers – Save Our Souls – A great five-piece band from the Montreal, Quebec area. Considering this is the only song they’ve put out to date, it’s a very promising start for this band who intend to put out an EP powered by this single.
5. JOLLY – The Pattern – And now for something completely different. This epic song clocks in at over six minutes. The video is very interesting in and of its self with its one take video of a guy who takes a journey through song and that’s really the best way to describe the song going from bounce-y and kind of uplifting to dreamy to paralyzingly frightening in the matter of two minutes. The expressions on that guy’s face are priceless.
This is another very diverse shortlist of music to keep you comfy for another couple of weeks. Thank you for checking these bands out and thank you very much for listening.